Importance of a youthful spirit

"Don't let the excitement of youth cause you to forget your Creator. Honor him in your youth before you grow old and say 'life is not pleasant anymore.' Remember him before your legs-the guards of your house- start to tremble; and before your shoulders-the strong men-stoop." Ecclesiastes 12:1;3


A couple weeks ago my pastor talked about how age is not a matter of physical appearance but of our spirit. Since then the Lord has been unraveling this wisdom in my own life. 

To my lovely friends and family living as a youth in this time. We live in a world that screams for teens to follow their hearts desire and live it up and then follow God when we are older and settled down. Through out the bible there are many examples that call for us to run wild for Jesus now. While we are young we have the chances to reach out and serve others. We are only guaranteed now. 
I know how chessy that sounds, but we truly have now to make a difference. This moment to fall in love with our Lord and Savior. I am reminded that I could chase romance or friendships now. What is the point of fully focusing on those things when in the end we will be with our True friend, husband, father, and savior forever. Instead lets chase what matters in life first and let God provide the rest. (Matthew 6:33)

Now is the time when we are passionate and full of life. Now is the time to learn how to be joyful during trials and thankful through it all. Being youthful in spirit is "not determined by physical being but mindset and heart set."* In John 21 after Jesus died and rose again, his disciples went back to what they were doing. They went through a couple years of being taught by Jesus but when He left they when back to their regular way life. Then Jesus reappears and challenges Peter. 

"When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.  Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.”  Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!” John 21:15-19. (bible gateway)
Jesus shows Peter that while he is young the opportunity to go on mission is now. Soon enough our laters or next years will come and  eventually our energy or physical ability decreased. That does not mean we stop but our opportunity to serve is just as important now as it is when we are older.
I recently visited my great aunt who being not in the best condition had great joy beyond bonds. She truly is a perfect example of someone who has a youthful spirit and continues to choose Jesus everyday no matter the circumstance. It does not matter what age you are, because God calls us of all ages to have faith like a child. To those who like me are young right now, We only are going to get older. Throughout the bible Jesus chose the young, because of their passion and ability. Do not wait to serve the Lord and obey his commands. We do not know what lies ahead in the future or how long God allows us to live this life. As we embark on this next season where ever we are I pray that we would take advantage of being young and start now. We has chosen all of us and makes us able through Him to do all things. 
* quote from sermon preached by Dale Oquist. 



Comments

Popular Posts