Your Faith is Precious to God



Happy New Year!

(Before reading note that the first half of this post was written yesterday as a reflection of 2017 and second half was written today (2018) as a prayer for this year).

I am going to be honest as I look back on this year (2017) I immediately think of all the times I failed. This year probaly was not my best year in remaining steadfast to God and to all the places he called me to. In fact this year was spent mostly doing what I needed to to get by. I spent more energy on being ungrateful for what I did not have rather than spending time thanking Jesus for all He has done. However, If I take a second and think a little bit deeper into this past year I start to remember the accomplishments God has brought me through. The more I thought deep into this year, the lessons God has taught me started to resurface. It is easy to categorize this year as a failure if you did not personally reach the goals you made at the beginning of the year. If you know you did not fully obey God then it is easy to consider this year as a throw away. Do not give into that temptation. Even in the driest of seasons there are lessons to be learned and signs of God's faithfulness to be noticed. Through it all we always have the hope of Christ in our hearts.

As I reflect on 2017, two lessons come back to my mind.
1. My true identity is rooted in God. I am his daughter no matter how faithful or unfaithful I have been. 

2. Devotion time is not the only means of my faith. He cares more about my heart engaged with him throughout my day then doing a devotion just to get it done. 

This year there have been so many new and exciting opportunities completely outside of my comfort zone. When we are in a new environment or community of people it is hard to be ourselves. College is beautiful but it is also completely uncomfortable in every aspect. It is hard to find purpose in a place that is completely different from what we are used to. In the rush of school work, dance, and regular work, it is hard to find God amidst the business yet alone our true identity.  I am learning in the moments were I feel the most purposeless I need to press into God even more. It is in the times spent with him that we might experience our true-self and be reminded of our purpose. 

In every season and circumstance we are children of God and we are saved by His grace. God's grace never runs out even when we are in a dark season. We never can shake off our new identity in Christ even in our failures. I am God's daughter in the hills and valleys of life. It is one thing to read this post and say a silent amen and another thing to wholeheartedly believe this statement. I will confess I have read statements like this all year and have only said a silent amen without taking action in my heart. 

Which brings me to the second lesson God has taught me. My devotion time is not the only way to seek the Lord. Throughout high school I found comfort in my devotion time. Moving to college where there was no time for devotions  felt like my relationship with God was sinking. In my brain not putting God first through scripture reading made it "impossible" to live for God in all the other moments. Slowly but surely God has been showing me a new way. A way not with devotions in the center of my life but a way where God is. If God is in the center of my life then everything I do flows from that. My faith is a not a product of devotions but it comes deep within the heart. Sure scripture reading strengthens one's faith and deepens a person's heart for God. But to soley label our devotion time as our product of faith is a misconception.

We all know the passage "faith without works is dead." A faith that does not take care of the orphan or widow. One that does not love or have compassion to those around them is quite frankly dead. Yes, reading the Bible strengths our hearts and reminds us of who God is. It is necessary in growing as a christian.  However, It should not be the means that soley identifies our faith. Our actions should. The way we live in our every day lives with the people around us.  God desires this from us, because our faith to him is precious. He does not want our mere actions but our hearts. He wants us to allow his call for our lives to be our everything. Faith in God is our response to this world and the situations that arise. 

As I approach or rather am thrown into 2018, God has put this verse on my heart as a reminder of what is truly important. 

"So be truly glad. There is a wonderful joy ahead, even though you must endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold-though your faith is more precious than gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials. It will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world." 1 Peter 1:6-7. 

I do not know what this year holds; the good or bad. However, I do know there is always hope, always love, and always grace. Faith is a theme that I have chosen for this year. A year where I hope my faith in God is strengthened and flows from heart and mind. I pray that you would chose this year as a time dedicated to God and all he has for you. 

“I will not die; I will live to tell what the Lord has done.” Psalm 118:17

Comments

Popular Posts